EDMPaws

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Joining dog lovers from Edmonton and surrounding communities.

+2
sonterra
Admin
6 posters

What made you...

Admin
    Admin
    Admin

What made you... Empty What made you...

Post  Admin Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:30 am

...choose the breed you did?
    sonterra
    sonterra
    Jack Russell Terrier

What made you... Empty dobes and sibes

Post  sonterra Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:38 am

Admin wrote:...choose the breed you did?

Well.. I have always loved dobies. I was not allowed to have pets as a child, but friends of my parents did. And friends had a dobie that scared the beejesus outta my mom and I was always to be found around it.

I have had dobes for the past 12 years. I have had other breeds I thought were great dogs/breeds. Bouviers, great danes, giant schnauzers, rottweillers, malinois. I think bouviers are wonderful pets but can not do the work I participate in. Great danes just don't live that long, as well as not be able to do the work. While there are GS's that can do the work I do, it is a long hard search. I do still quite enjoy rottnsmellers and malinois, however none compares to the dobe. Dobes are the dog of my heart. I always come back to them.

I love thier quick minds, their intelligence, their willingness to please, their althleticism, their courage, their drive, work ethic, their unfailing loyalty. And I love the way they look. Altho I prefer the all natural dobe these days (got my first all natural dobe from Denmark in 2005).

Their short hair is so functional and easy to deal with and keep clean.

The sibes are my b/f's breed of choice. I will profusely deny that I enjoy the breed, but I do. We are on our third (our first died of cancer at 18 months, our second was 5 yrs old, had an altercation with a porcupine and the attending vet decided without anyone's authority to euthanize him).

Sibes have the most amazing personalities. They are such fun spirited, FREE spirits. They love with their entire hearts. That Willie Nelson song "Don't Fence Me In" its their motto. All the ones I have owned are incredibly good with people, dogs, animals, and are dogs you can take anywhere - on a leash. They are truely challenging in that they really don't care to connect in a manner indicitive of obedience training, they love to run and wander, and I have never met one that couldn't escape from any yard at any moment.

They are also explorers by nature, and the same 4 walls make them crazy after a while. They want to explore and see what everyone else is doing. If they don't get what they need in that regard... they will become incredibly destructive. All of my three have what I like to call the "if you don't take me out and amuse me for a while, I am gonna wreck all your stuff" look. And it is amazing the things they can find to wreck!

I also find that they are a breed of dog that could very easily go back to being feral. All of mine are/have been accomplished hunters (birds, mice, cats, etc). I do not allow them to hunt if I can help it, but they are very fast and agile.

They are not a breed that handlers physical correction or abuse very well. A physical correction will shut most down and abuse can easily trigger an aggressive response back, from even the most mild of tempermented sibes.

I find the pairing of the dobes and the sibes to work well for me. The sibes I have had, have been very mellow and non dog aggressive and deal with my high drive dobies crap very well.

Tamara McIntosh
    Triton07
    Triton07
    Boxer

What made you... Empty Re: What made you...

Post  Triton07 Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:38 am

I chose a chihuahua only because of my living situations. I love their "little dog syndrome" however, and I beleive they have it the worst out of any small dogs. He is a very intelligent dog, and learns in the snap of a finger. He is bonded to one person (myself) but will let others into his little bubble of love.

I want a weimaraner however, and once I have to room, that will be my first choice of dog. I love their loyalty, they are also incredibly smart, and I've always wanted a larger dog and weims have just caught my eye forever!
    Scheri
    Scheri
    Yorkie

What made you... Empty Why I chose a Chi

Post  Scheri Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:11 pm

I owned a Chi for (19) years. When we had to put her down the house felt like a house not a home. So I added (3) Chi's two weeks apart from each other. Was tough at first but once they were all over (6) months their basic training and then some agility made them my Littl' Pak of sunshine. They always make you feel better.
    DobbieDobermanPinscher
    DobbieDobermanPinscher
    Jack Russell Terrier

What made you... Empty Choosing Dobbie

Post  DobbieDobermanPinscher Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:13 am

I had a 10-year old doberman before named Batman. In 2008, he died because of cancer. It was really painful for he was so dear to me. Had him since I was 14 years old. So I basically spent my teenage years with him. He was my companion all through out times. Good times and bad times, he was there for me. He's the first to know about my first crushes then. Lol. When Batman died, it was of course very painful. I mourned for almost 3 months. Until a new doberman pinscher came into my life.

A good friend of mine gave me this cute little doberman dog. I named him Dobbie, the first name that entered my mind. Dobbie removed all my fears and made my life worth it. Dobbie is now 2 years old and we are both loving life together. Now, that I am miles away from home, I truly miss him.

Whenever I see doberman pinschers here, I think of Dobbie and it makes me wonder what's going on with him at the moment. If he had a passport, I should have taken him with me in this business tour but anyway, my boss would not allow it anyway. So no chance of taking him with me.

There you go, the history on how I got my
    dobermans.

maartna
    Yorkie

Post  maartna Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:10 pm

I chose a Weimaraner because Ive had great interest in them since I was a child seeing them on Sesame Street. Also I wanted an intelligent loyal dog.

Plus they look absolutely fabulous
    DobbieDobermanPinscher
    DobbieDobermanPinscher
    Jack Russell Terrier

Post  DobbieDobermanPinscher Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:42 pm

Oh sesame street! I love elmo! My nephew is having his 1st birthday party on Sunday and the theme is Sesame Street! Smile

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:46 am