EDMPaws

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Joining dog lovers from Edmonton and surrounding communities.

+5
DobbieDobermanPinscher
CSCG
Jackie
Triton07
Admin
9 posters

Spay and Neuter Clinic (Edmonton)

Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Spay and Neuter Clinic (Edmonton) Empty Spay and Neuter Clinic (Edmonton)

Post  Admin Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:22 am

We just had Oakley neutered exactly a week ago today at the S and N Clinic downtown. It seems like they did a great job. We dropped him off at 7am and picked him up at 4pm. They seemed to have treated him good, their work looks clean, and it was a lot cheaper than our vet. We also got him tattooed as well and it looks good and legible.

So for anyone who is wondering about the quality of their work, from personal experience, I'd recommend them. My only complaint is their inability to answer their phones sometimes.
    Triton07
    Triton07
    Boxer

Spay and Neuter Clinic (Edmonton) Empty Re: Spay and Neuter Clinic (Edmonton)

Post  Triton07 Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:16 am

How much did they charge for his neuter?
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:00 am

$200 with the tattoo and laser.
    Triton07
    Triton07
    Boxer

Post  Triton07 Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:28 pm

Wow thats not bad at all! I don't think theres a SN clinic in Red Deer, but we do have a program where some people may be eligible to get a free spay or neuter.. My next dog I may just have to register for that!
    Jackie
    Jackie
    Pomeranian

Post  Jackie Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:19 am

We had Emma spayed at the S & N clinic. They did a good job, and the original price was reasonable.

However, I did get to see how they made their money: They insisted our dog was VERY OVERWEIGHT, which she was not, and charged us an arm and a leg over the original price, as they said it takes longer to do the surgery. Also, even though she was 1 month past her first heat, they insisted her uterus was still very swollen, and thus added more charges because of extra cauterization.

I wasn't in any position to argue with the clerk at the front, as I was anxious to get our Emma home.

Just posting this to let others know what things may run up your costs at this clinic.
    CSCG
    Yorkie

Post  CSCG Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:16 am

I took my cat to be neutered at the Spay Clinic. Signed a waver permitting necessary procedures should any complications arise on July 26, 2010. We followed all directions and carefully watched the site of incision for infection.

July 31, 2010 I noticed scabs forming and inflammation. He wouldn't eat or drink, and couldn't go potty. We immediately took him to the Emergency Clinic, as the Spay Clinic was closed. We were given antibiotics and antibacterial cream and advised to follow up with our regular vet.

We have insurance to cover the cost of prescriptions and grateful we chose to get coverage as the resulting infection has cost us several hundred dollars. The insurance company told us we needed to have records from every veterinary service provider that has examined our cat, and we were horrified by the response from the Spay Clinic.

We were advised that they do NOT keep any sort of records including the waiver we signed. The only records they keep is a copy of the receipt given to us that is signed by the veterinarian. I was told that since we chose not to wait until Monday to give the Spay Clinic an opportunity to examine him free of charge, we nullified any liability on their part and that if the insurance company denies our claim not to bother going after them for compensation. I had not even suggested that would be a consideration or course of action.

Today, August 9, 2010, our cat is still undergoing treatment for what our veterinarian has described as the absolute worst neuter-related infection she has ever seen. She advised the resulting infection was caused by lack of proper sanitary conditions when the neutering was performed.

This is just my own experience. The cost of taking our pet to the Spay and Neuter Clinic in Edmonton has far exceeded the cost of blood testing, procedure, and optional treatment charges through our regular vet (Total cost would have only been $404.45).

I know that many people have benefited from having affordable spay/neuter services without any sort of complications, but this is how I was treated and what happened when I took my pet to their facility. I believe that having affordable services is important and necessary. I would not recommend the Spay and Neuter Clinic in Edmonton to my worst enemy. As I mentioned before, this is only my experience and further research has revealed not a very uncommon one.
    Jackie
    Jackie
    Pomeranian

Post  Jackie Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:54 am

CSCG: That's horrible. I hope your pet is doing better now. I think it's tragic that there is no affordable place in this city for these necessary procedures. There are HUNDREDS of free cats on Kijiji and at the SPCA, and I think it's criminal that people can't afford to get their pets spayed and neutered.

I was lucky Emma's spaying turned out great, but the cost of it has made me decide that the next dog I adopt will have already been spayed.
    DobbieDobermanPinscher
    DobbieDobermanPinscher
    Jack Russell Terrier

Post  DobbieDobermanPinscher Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:58 am

$200 is way cheaper for the spay and neuter. My vet charges me $250 for it. But anyway, I am still thinking of this process for my doberman.
    Chilli dog
    Chilli dog
    Yorkie

Post  Chilli dog Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:49 am

I have a 6 month old puppy that needs to get spayed. It's great to read about the good experinces some of you have had with this place, but honestly I'm afraid of the procedure and after reading the bad comments about the spay clinic in town don't know what to do...I guess I'll go there to get my own impressions about the place and staff who works there...my puppy is my everything and just want her to be in good hands Neutral
    fuchsart
    Yorkie

Post  fuchsart Thu May 17, 2012 3:12 pm

We called the Whitemud Animal Clinic for a quote on getting our 1 year old Rottie spayed. We had been there before for her shots. The vet himself took the call and quoted us $220. When got there to pick her up the price had become $560. There was no discussion of additional fees, nothing out of the ordinary...just tons of additional fees. Tonight she is miserable and crying. I don't know if that's normal or not.

These outrageous fees for a necessary treatment only cause more owners to forgo the expense and take the risk. I moved up from the states where the number of dogs euthenized daily would make you cry. This situation will take us there in a hurry.

And when a client asks for the fees, they need to be made aware of the full pricing structure. Now instead of a long term client, I won't return, I won't recommend, I will leave negative feedback, and will probably report you to some sort of agency. Being up front with people will get you a long ways in this world.
    Albertalander
    Yorkie

Spay and Neuter Clinic (Edmonton) Empty Neutering....

Post  Albertalander Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:13 am

Have booked my boy into the Lakeview Clinic and they are saying about $600. Can't really afford this, but the thought of something happening to my little fella for the sake of a few dollars is making me think that I may go ahead and book this.
    I'm hearing a lot of scarey stuff about the Spray Clinic. Are they honestly that bad or just a couple of cases that went wrong? If they are that incompetent why are they open?
    Someone or a few of you want to weight in on this..... Want the best for my boy,,,,,,
    Sugar Kiss
    Yorkie

Post  Sugar Kiss Thu May 09, 2013 10:47 pm

Over the years I have had several dogs and cats fixed there. Every single time the procedure was done without complications, problems with cost projection or ANYTHING else.

This is what they do, they are very efficient and very affordable. The costs associated with surgury are not fictional at this place. If you have seen the difference it makes when animals are in heat, just off heat, over weight or loaded with worms, you would not question the extra costs. It truely does take longer and/or require more meds etc.

As for the answering phones and keeping every form...they are super busy and I never had a problem getting ahold of someone as long as it was in the middle of the day.

They always did a good job of keeping things organized with paperwork (the little there is). If they hired someone to be only monitoring the phones and paperwork the cost of the procedure would go up.

They do such a high volume of animals and have almost no complications. I beleive the number of them is extremely low. I am sorry to hear the one dog had such as hard time, that is sad but I truely think it is a very rare case.

I ALWAYS refer people to the clinic without hesitation.

I too have had times in my life where I did not have money for altering an animal but I made it a priority to save for it. If I can't afford to fix an animal then I should not have gotten that animal.

Please don't come down on me and say poor people have the right to own pets....no, owning a pet is a privlege (sp?), not a right.

There are programs for very low income people to get free or much reduced altering for their animals anyways.

No excuse.
    Sugar Kiss
    Yorkie

Post  Sugar Kiss Thu May 09, 2013 10:52 pm

I forgot to say that having the laser used is so much better! Heals faster and less discomfort. Not all vet have this so ask first.
    Albertalander
    Yorkie

Post  Albertalander Thu May 09, 2013 11:26 pm

Albertalander wrote:Have booked my boy into the Lakeview Clinic and they are saying about $600. Can't really afford this, but the thought of something happening to my little fella for the sake of a few dollars is making me think that I may go ahead and book this.
    I'm hearing a lot of scarey stuff about the Spray Clinic. Are they honestly that bad or just a couple of cases that went wrong? If they are that incompetent why are they open?
    Someone or a few of you want to weight in on this..... Want the best for my boy,,,,,,

Have had my Clemmie and Maggie Neutered and Spayed here and there was no complications. The people working there were very professional and caring. There was no price increase or surprise and everything went smoothly. At amount half the cost of our regular vet, this was very affordable and my pups suffered only the embarassment of wearing a cone for a few days(Clemmie destroyed his in about 2 hours)

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:48 am