EDMPaws

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Joining dog lovers from Edmonton and surrounding communities.

+2
Triton07
Kym
6 posters

Nail cutting

Kym
    Kym
    Yorkie

Nail cutting Empty Nail cutting

Post  Kym Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:09 am

I have recently taken in a 3 year old lab who hates getting her nails cut. I usually do them my self but I dont want her to lose that trust because she is still "new". She has the black nails which makes it even harder otherwise I probably would do it. Does anyone know of someone who is gentle and knows what he or she is doing???
    Triton07
    Triton07
    Boxer

Nail cutting Empty Re: Nail cutting

Post  Triton07 Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:56 pm

I don't know of anyone in Edmonton(as I am from Red Deer) but if you take a flash light and shine them through, you will be able to see her quiks. I know what you mean about wanting to be gentle too.. Just play with her feet as much as you can, she'll get used to you touching them often, and when the time comes to do her nails it will be easy!

Or you can do the alternative and take her to someone who does it profesionally, but they do it quick, so it may not be all that gentle..

Good luck!
    Whipple
    Whipple
    Yorkie

Post  Whipple Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:59 pm

I work at a grooming shop and my boss is great with nails. I would trust her with my dogs for sure. Although I do nails too, I don't trust myself as much with other dogs.

I do find that the bigger labs and lab crosses that come in tend to have short quicks so that if they are walked on cement often they wear down quite nicely. Oten I dont even have to cut them.

But she is really good, and there are a bunch of us, so if your dog really needs them done I suggest going to a good groomer. Im not sure if Im allowed to tell where I work, but you can pm me. Like I said, my boss is pretty good. Shes got so many years of experience and rarely if ever quicks them.
    Scheri
    Scheri
    Yorkie

Nail cutting Empty Nail Trim

Post  Scheri Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:55 pm

Check with your local groomer.

They use a dremel tool and it works great!
    DobbieDobermanPinscher
    DobbieDobermanPinscher
    Jack Russell Terrier

Post  DobbieDobermanPinscher Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:25 am

I would suggest to have the nail cutting done by a professional groomer. They know best and can teach you some tricks to make your lab be at ease with nail cutting.

When I had my doberman dog, the problem was with brushing his teeth. He was really uncomfortable with it. So I tried to change his toothpaste and the vet suggested tar-tar free treats for him. It was a good treat for behaving well when I am brushing his teeth.
    mistqueen
    mistqueen
    Pomeranian

Post  mistqueen Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:11 pm

I like Fabulous Furballs for Nail trimming, Waggin Tails by Sherry- West End, Pet Planet

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:52 pm