EDMPaws

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Joining dog lovers from Edmonton and surrounding communities.

5 posters

Does your dog like water?

Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Does your dog like water? Empty Does your dog like water?

Post  Admin Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:37 pm

Oakley loves it. But when does get drenched, he looks like a wet rat crossed with Sebastian Bach from Skid Row.
    Triton07
    Triton07
    Boxer

Does your dog like water? Empty Re: Does your dog like water?

Post  Triton07 Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:18 pm

Hahaha! Good description!

Triton will go in the water, but he won't swim on his own. I put him in deep enough so he couldn't touch (it was knee deep on me lol) and he actually swam! He was terrified the first time, but he got the hang of it.

Still won't voluntarily go deeper than his knees, but he enjoys chasing sticks into the water. He'll even submerge his head to get a rock from the bottom. It's funny because I think he still inhales underwater LOL
    Jayda82
    Jayda82
    Yorkie

Post  Jayda82 Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:50 am

Montycore could swim for hours he dives under water and pulls things up and brings them back to me.Belle not so much but she is getting the hang of it.She hates her head underwater,but loves her baths LOL kind of a strange dog!!!
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:37 pm

Gotta love their personalities sometimes... bounce
    Triton07
    Triton07
    Boxer

Post  Triton07 Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:04 pm

Jayda82 wrote:Montycore could swim for hours he dives under water and pulls things up and brings them back to me.Belle not so much but she is getting the hang of it.She hates her head underwater,but loves her baths LOL kind of a strange dog!!!

LOVES baths!! Lucky you! I'm just glad Triton is only 8lbs of wrestle during his bath Very Happy
    Jackie
    Jackie
    Pomeranian

Post  Jackie Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:08 am

I'd LOVE to take our dogs swimming somewhere, but the only place we've found (the river) has such steep banks. I have bad knees and can't climb up or down such steep hills.

Does anyone know of an off leash area I can take my girls swimming where it is a beach or has a flat access??? THANKS!
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:26 am

Jackie wrote:I'd LOVE to take our dogs swimming somewhere, but the only place we've found (the river) has such steep banks. I have bad knees and can't climb up or down such steep hills.

Does anyone know of an off leash area I can take my girls swimming where it is a beach or has a flat access??? THANKS!
    Terwillegar dog park has access to the river which isn't very steep at all. And it also has some smaller reservoirs which aren't tough to get at either.
    Jackie
    Jackie
    Pomeranian

Post  Jackie Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:14 am

Maybe I didn't see enough of Terwilliger park, but that WAS the place I took them. I walk with a cane, so those banks were just too steep. Perhaps I'll look around a bit more for easier access points. I'm just not familiar with that water or the river in general, so was terrified that the dogs might get swept up in a current or something. Cause I'd be the first one in there to help them! Exclamation
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:15 am

The current there is really tame. I could see a very small dog maybe getting pushed slightly downstream but bigger dogs don't have a problem with it. My Australian Shepherd that weighs a whopping 35lbs swims through the current with ease.
    Triton07
    Triton07
    Boxer

Post  Triton07 Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:19 pm

We've never been up to Edmonton for dog parks, but when Triton comes fishing and gets caught in some pretty tough currents, he still manages to fight them. It's a bit of a struggle but I keep him on a leash JUST IN CASE. He's a whopping 9 lbs (apparently 11 lbs today)LOL but usually 9lbs. I wonder what my families been feeding him while I'm gone.... scratch HAHA
    Jackie
    Jackie
    Pomeranian

Post  Jackie Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:29 am

Admin wrote:The current there is really tame. I could see a very small dog maybe getting pushed slightly downstream but bigger dogs don't have a problem with it. My Australian Shepherd that weighs a whopping 35lbs swims through the current with ease.

That's good to know. My "puppy" is 80 lbs, so she should be OK. We've been working on her recall lately, but I still feel she's not completly ready for off-leash in a park full of other dogs. She sometimes has "selective" hearing....especially if there is a rabbit around! Wink
    Triton07
    Triton07
    Boxer

Post  Triton07 Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:49 am

Jackie wrote:
    That's good to know. My "puppy" is 80 lbs, so she should be OK. We've been working on her recall lately, but I still feel she's not completly ready for off-leash in a park full of other dogs. She sometimes has "selective" hearing....especially if there is a rabbit around! Wink

Triton's also got that "selective hearing" going on. Haha. He's so quick too! He'd be gone in a flash if I let him go and he saw something to chase!
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:44 am

Keep a few small treats with you when you take her off leash. When you call her back and she comes, reward her with a treat. We started doing this with Oakley and it worked wonders when training him. He still gets sidetracked with his puppy curiosity, but he does rather well for only 6 months.
    Triton07
    Triton07
    Boxer

Post  Triton07 Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:12 am

I tried with treats for a while, but I'd rather not treat train because Triton knows if I don't have treats with me, he doesn't need to come because he won't get that reward.. Instead he gets the 'ol chest rub and good boy praising, and he LOVES it. He just has A.D.D. sometimes lol. Still having respect issues too.
    CSG
    CSG
    Yorkie

Post  CSG Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:35 pm

First of all, don't start the treat method off right at the dog park. You may need to start off rewarding him for coming to you in a smaller area where there aren't as many distactions. Start him off in an area that is familar to him. Maybe begin in your house first, then move to the backyard and then once he has mastered those areas then move to the dog park. Give that a try.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:13 am