EDMPaws

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Joining dog lovers from Edmonton and surrounding communities.

2 posters

Beware the Coyotes

Jackie
    Jackie
    Pomeranian

Beware the Coyotes Empty Beware the Coyotes

Post  Jackie Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:17 am

Here's a link to Jamie Hall's Pet Blog on the Edmonton Journal web site.

http://communities.canada.com/edmontonjournal/blogs/animalattraction/archive/2009/09/17/beware-the-coyotes.aspx#comments

There have been MANY coyote sightings in Edmonton lately. I myself have seen a number of "well-fed" looking ones when out walking my dog. PLEASE BE VERY AWARE of coyotes. They will not hesitate to grab any smaller dog.
    Jackie
    Jackie
    Pomeranian

Beware the Coyotes Empty Re: Beware the Coyotes

Post  Jackie Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:23 am

PS: If you do encounter a coyote:

What to do if you encounter a coyote
    To prevent coyote attacks on humans, modern wildlife management focuses on ‘aversive conditioning’. This practice tries to change an animal’s behaviour by making every human-coyote encounter unpleasant for the animal. This method only works if we all respond to coyote encounters aggressively.If a coyote does approach, make it feel unwelcome. They should not feel comfortable around us.

Take These Immediate Steps: • Respond to its presence aggressively by making yourself appear large; wave your arms overhead, or shove long objects like a walking stick toward the coyote. • Throw rocks, sticks or other objects to scare it away. • Carry a whistle and blow it to startle the animal. • Carry dog spray in areas highly frequented by coyotes. • Shout in a deep voice and maintain eye contact. • Do not turn away or run. This may trigger a natural predator/prey instinct and might encourage the coyote to chase after you. • If the coyote continues to approach, back away slowly and move toward buildings or human activity.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:46 am

Good advice.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:55 am

It's actually kind of funny you mention this (as serious as the issue is) after I read in the Metro newspaper this morning on my way to school that Jessica Simpson's dog she received as a gift from Nick Lachey got packed away by a Coyote.

Somehow she is still determined to find the dog...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:20 am