EDMPaws

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Joining dog lovers from Edmonton and surrounding communities.

4 posters

Hello from Edmonton AND Cold Lake, AB

sonterra
    sonterra
    Jack Russell Terrier

Hello from Edmonton AND Cold Lake, AB Empty Hello from Edmonton AND Cold Lake, AB

Post  sonterra Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:45 am

Hello everyone,

My name is Tamara McIntosh. I do live and work in Cold Lake, AB as I am in the military up here, however I am born and raised in Edmonton and spend a whole bunch of time down there as well. I own 2 acres up here and live with my 2.5 yr old son, Daniel and my boyfriend, Steven.

I currently have 2 dogs. A working bred, all natural dobermann (2.5yrs)and a show bred siberian husky (will be a year nov 15). I train both dogs in tracking and obedience. On top of that the sibe will be shown to his championship and is our pet, and my dobe is my working dog I train in french/mondio ring, tracking, and obedience. My dobie has his CGN (canine Good Neighbour) and I hope to get the sibe's CGN next spring. In the past in the "off" season I have put the dogs in agility to keep them in shape and mentally occupied.

I am very active in dog training and currently sit on the executive boards for several dog associations.

I am the president of the newly formed 4 Wing K9 Club up in Cold Lake. Our goal is to get our dogs out there and teach the community about responsible pet ownership and canine education. We are hosting a flyball seminar Oct 17-18, 2009 as a membership drive to get people out to see how fun dog training and community spirit can be.

I am also the president of the Edmonton Ringsport Association. While there are 4 kinds of "ring" sports, the ERA focuses on French ringsport and Mondio ringsport (the other two being KNVP - dutch police ring, and NVBK - belgian ring).

The ERA has put on several events in Edmonton this year already; Steve White urban tracking seminar in May and Jean Marc Alan french ringsport seminar in August. Oct 29-Nov 1 ERA will host Tom Andrykowski who is the 2008 dual world champion in Mondio ring 3. Tom is an amazing trainer who will train for obedience, protection (mondio style and IPO style) and if the weather is good tracking as well. He is also a full time Swiss army K9 handler/trainer.

French ring and mondio ring share several similarities... They both have obedience phases, agility (jumps) phases and bitesuit protection work. They differ in that French ring is very technique orientated, while mondio is environmentally orientated.

Here is a video of a team performing a mondio ring 1 routine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAzCnVevhDM

Here is a video of a french ring 1 routine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnf_AssIM2M&feature=channel_page

The basis for these two ringsports is control of the dogs. The obedience is very functional rather than stylized (eg schutzhund or CKC obedience) and the protection work is incredibly precise.

The third organization that I am a part of is the Edmonton Working Dog Events group. This groups main function is bringing world class trainers into the Edmonton area to develop the level of training in our area. So far this year we have brought in Michael Ellis in March and June and again in Nov, as well as Joanne Flemming Plumb for tracking.

We will be bringing in world class trainer and Loup de Soliele Malinois co-breeder Lisa Maze for a series of competitive obedience seminars starting in January 2010. Her methods, as well as Michael Ellis's methods, are based on solid dog learning psychology and positive motivation, however there is still a heavy emphasis on perfection for compeition.

In my spare time, I am developing a childrens only dog class, which will incorporate obedience, manners and tricks, for the 4 Wing K9 Club

As you can see, I spend the bulk of my spare time, (and more!) Dog training, dog training planning or thinking about dog training! :-) I am always open to talking to people about dogs and training.

Tamara McIntosh
    memphisbelle5@hotmail.com
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Hello from Edmonton AND Cold Lake, AB Empty Re: Hello from Edmonton AND Cold Lake, AB

Post  Admin Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:51 am

Welcome. I grew up in the Cold Lake area. Very Happy
    Triton07
    Triton07
    Boxer

Hello from Edmonton AND Cold Lake, AB Empty Re: Hello from Edmonton AND Cold Lake, AB

Post  Triton07 Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:21 pm

Welcome!! Is always good to have fellow dog "enthusiasts" to chat with Very Happy I'm sure you'll find lots here!
    sonterra
    sonterra
    Jack Russell Terrier

Hello from Edmonton AND Cold Lake, AB Empty Thanks!

Post  sonterra Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:01 am

Thanks for the welcome!
    Mudra
    Mudra
    Yorkie

Post  Mudra Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:24 am

Hi Sonterra! What a good looking dobe you got there!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 12:27 pm