EDMPaws

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Joining dog lovers from Edmonton and surrounding communities.

+9
multilmc
Jackie
Maverick
Jayda82
bean
fstfrdy
bralene
Triton07
Admin
13 posters

Your Dog's Name?

Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Your Dog's Name? Empty Your Dog's Name?

Post  Admin Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:04 pm

What's the meaning or reason behind your dog's name? We chose to name our Australian Shepherd Oakley because, simply put, we just liked the sound of the name. There is no particular meaning to it.

And I was hoping that one day a free pair of Oakley sunglasses would arrive on my doorstep for the free advertisement...but I guess big corporations aren't grateful. Twisted Evil
    Triton07
    Triton07
    Boxer

Your Dog's Name? Empty Re: Your Dog's Name?

Post  Triton07 Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:31 pm

My chihuahuas name is Triton. I got the name from one of Neptunes moons, and also the God of the sea!

It's such a mighty name and although it doesn't fit his size, it definitely fits his personality!
    bralene
    Yorkie

Your Dog's Name? Empty dogs names

Post  bralene Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:20 am

Hi have 2 dogs we got java first named her that cause she is a hyber thing (black lab golden retriver ??), then we rescued Kibble from a abuse home , all she did was eat when we frist got her , (shepard collie cross} ??
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:04 am

Triton07 wrote:My chihuahuas name is Triton. I got the name from one of Neptunes moons, and also the God of the sea!

It's such a mighty name and although it doesn't fit his size, it definitely fits his personality!
    I like it. It reminds me of the old cartoons (I think it was Loony Tunes) when you would see a big shadow of a huge dog walking...and then the little dog that was causing the shadow would come skipping by. lol!
    Triton07
    Triton07
    Boxer

Post  Triton07 Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:32 am

Haha! No kidding, I never thought of that Smile
    fstfrdy
    Yorkie

Your Dog's Name? Empty Dogs names

Post  fstfrdy Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:49 am

I have 2 Bassets Dexter and Mini. I had another Basset til he passed 2 years ago we called him Ralph cause he looked like Ralph Kline. D+M had names when I got them.
    bean
    bean
    Yorkie

Post  bean Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:29 am

my little guy's name is Oliver. I was looking for a girl dog so i could name her molly... But Oliver chose me!
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:53 am

Oliver suits him well.
    bean
    bean
    Yorkie

Post  bean Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:05 pm

ha ha Yes, Oliver is the perfect name for him!! I hope to get some more pics up soon!!
    Jayda82
    Jayda82
    Yorkie

Post  Jayda82 Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:04 am

My husband named our akita cross Belle (he is french and it means beauty).Montycore our Lab had his name when we adopted him, we first thought the name did not quite fit as he was very shy.I did not want to change it,good thing we diden't as he has lived up to the name!!!
    Maverick
    Maverick
    Yorkie

Post  Maverick Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:38 pm

I have a 3 1/2 year old Doberman named Maverick. Hes a big (90lbs) beatiful black and tan, male with uncropped ears. Hes very alert, and protective. Natural born guard dog (by his nature alone), started some search and tracking training with him, but have yet to attend formal training for that. He has basic obedience. very smart, devoted, and loving dog. Knows many hand signals.

I named him Maverick because i decided when i was 13 years old that i would get a doberman an name him maverick. lol He is named from Top Gun.

I also have a 14 month old Staffordshire Terrier/Bullmastiff cross. He looks very much like a purebred red nosed pitbull. (however he is not, and was actually classified by a city pound vet, as being NOT restricted.) He is also rather large at 73lbs and fits his name, which is Tank. He is a very lovable puppy, he listens very well, and is much more relaxed than maverick. He is not of the guard dog personality type. he is very playful and also very loving and devoted. I named him
    Tank, because both of my parents were in the army. My father was an armoured soldier. he also gets the tank crew members nickname of "zipperhead" from several scars on his head and neck. (tank crews were called zipperheads because of all the scars and stitches they got from banging their heads around inside the tanks while they drove over obstables and on rough terrain.) lol

They have gotten into several rather severe fights lately (they have both been neutered because of that), with the source of the issue being unneutered females being brought into the mix in a new living environment, causing their dominant behaviour to intensify. They are now on a rather strict rehabilitation schedule. I am in the process of buying an acreage, which will make their rehabilitation much smoother.

all in time.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:08 am

Not too many people would stick to their guns since they were 13. Impressive.

Post some pics of them when you get a chance.
    Jackie
    Jackie
    Pomeranian

Post  Jackie Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:05 am

My sister names all of her dogs after my father, Jack.

First one was Whiskey (as in Whiskeyjack)
    Next was Flash (as in Jumpin' Jack Flash)
    Current one is Nimble (as in Jack be Nimble).

My dog is Emma...probably not a name I'd pick, but it was what the family that found her had been calling her, and she was used to it. I got her as a private rescue that I found on Kijiji. At 8 months, she'd had no training or even been walked on a leash, so it took us a while to get her up to speed. But now she's doing great, and I'll bet she's very happy we found her! Smile
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:28 am

I was thinking that calling all of the dogs Jack over the years might have gotten a little repetitive, but I like the twist of creativity she threw in.

Does Jackie have anything to do with it?
    Jackie
    Jackie
    Pomeranian

Post  Jackie Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:10 am

LOL Yeah, I was also named after Dad. Smile
    multilmc
    multilmc
    Pomeranian

Your Dog's Name? Empty Hotshot and Gizmo

Post  multilmc Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:13 am

My husband's dog Hotshot is so-named because he (my husband, not the dog LOL) was a courier at the time and he used to do hotshot runs up to Fort Mac quite frequently. When he originally got Hotshot, he got him for his elderly father who lived with him, so he wouldn't be alone when he made those hotshot runs. It was his father who thought Hotshot was an appropriate name and yes, that little guy has lived up to the multiple meanings of that name!

Gizmo we rescued for free, having found him through Kijiji, and boy were we one lucky family to have gotten him, I love him to PIECES! Anyway, his name was already Gizmo only spelled Gismo (I liked the Z better LOL) and he knew it so we kept that for him. :-) My avatar is my little Gizmo sitting in front of my baby girl with a caption that I created as a LOLDog. I love LOLDogs and LOLCats, they're funny!
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:18 am

If you have a collection of those LOLDogs and LOLCats, post them! They're hilarious.

The name Gismo (or Gizmo) will always remind me of the guy that played football for the Eskimos a few years back.
    Triton07
    Triton07
    Boxer

Post  Triton07 Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:08 pm

Love the name hotshot! Very different. And I agree, a Z is better than an S lol

I love the avatar! Beautiful baby, and handsome Gizmo Smile
    multilmc
    multilmc
    Pomeranian

Post  multilmc Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:31 pm

Admin wrote:If you have a collection of those LOLDogs and LOLCats, post them! They're hilarious.

LOL Yes, the LOLs are hilarious indeed! I've only made 2 with my own pictures thus far. Here's the other one!

Your Dog's Name? Postgr10
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:44 pm

bom Laughing
    bella
    bella
    Yorkie

Post  bella Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:45 am

I have 2 beautiful American Pitbull Terriers. My female is a gorgeous Champange Blue and White her name is Talyn (why really it just kinda happened) and my handsome male is a Black and White his name is Titan (it just suited him).

I am a big time advocate for this breed in particular, I strongly believe that these beautiful creatures are not mean or horrible ... bad breeders and bad or uneducated owners give this breed a horrible name.

I could go on forever about it, so if anyone has any questions or want to talk about there pups I would be happy to talk to you.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:48 am

Feel free to post pics of them in the picture section. I love Pitbulls.
    Rainyfool
    Rainyfool
    Pomeranian

Post  Rainyfool Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:08 am

When we got our dachshund cross from EHS, he came as "Danny". For the first couple of days, he didn't respond to it at all...so we tried a bunch of different names.

When we came to Chuck (after one of our favorite TV shows..."Chuck"), we tried "Charlie", and his ears perked and he ran to us. So now we call him Charlie, Charles BARKley, Charlie Bucket, Chuck BARKowski, Chuck...the list goes on and on and on...
    multilmc
    multilmc
    Pomeranian

Post  multilmc Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:13 am

Ohhhhh, so I'm not the ONLY one who calls their animals (and children, for that matter) like 20 different names apiece???? lol!

Funny thing is, they learn that all 20 names refer to them! It's hilarious!
    Triton07
    Triton07
    Boxer

Post  Triton07 Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:35 pm

Haha, I've got a few nicknames for Triton that sound nothing like his name too! But he still knows, I think it's more the tone than anything Ahahaha! Us silly pet parents Razz

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 4:37 am